Back in France, she experimented to get the exact same flavour and was hugely disappointed. So I decided to have a chat with Vijay, the chai guy, and learn how the cutting chai is properly done.
Using 25 liters of milk, 25 liters of water, 5 kilos of sugar and 750 grams of tea powder he churns out 800 cups of chai a day (!).
His magic formula is as follows
Makes 4 cups
Milk 200 ml
Water 200 ml
Sugar 5 tbsp (this is for a very sweet chai, please reduce the sugar if you don’t want it too sweet)
Tea powder 2 tbsp
Ginger 10 g
1. Boil the water and milk for five minutes.
2. Using a mortar and pestle, crush the ginger.
3. Add the tea powder to the milk and water and continue to boil.
4. Now add the sugar and ginger (Vijay likes to boil this concoction for 15 - 20 minutes so you feel the full effect of the tea powder).
5. Strain and pour in to cups.
6. Enjoy your Mumbai special chai with hot vada pav or as I do, with a Hazelnut macaroon!