I wanted to make something completely different from what he's had before (he's my guinea pig, so he's had EVERYTHING on the menu, before it went on the menu). So I started looking for Nutella Cake recipes online and this Nigella recipe caught my attention. The technique was a bit different from what I usually bake. The recipe used egg yolks and whites separately, which I rarely do. I decided to give it a go. Here is the recipe, slightly modified by me. The cake is for his party tonight, and I hope he likes it!
Note: The recipe has no flour and is perfect for people with gluten allergies.
Vaarun's Birthday Cake
3 eggs (separated)
65g butter (I used amul)
1 teaspoon water
50 g hazelnut powder (grind hazelnuts in a food processor)
50g dark chocolate (I used 53% Callebaut)
-Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk softened butter and nutella together till smooth.
- Add the water and eggyolks to the above. Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave and allow it to cool. Once cool, add to the mixture.
- Whisk the eggwhites with a slight pinch of salt till it forms soft peaks.
- Gently fold the eggwhites to the chocolate batter.
- Pour in a 7 inch cake tin and bake at 180 degrees for 20-25 minutes or till the cake starts to leave the sides.
Once the cake cooled, I covered it with a dark chocolate ganache and tossed some roasted hazelnuts on it. You could even use Nutella on top of the cake (but I felt it would get too heavy).